Monday, November 24, 2008

A month...

It has been over a month since my last posting, and it is due time to write! There has been so many things that have been happening. I soon will have more photos to share, and I can't wait to post them. Here is one story I have wanted to share:

Happy Birthday!
A tradition in Latin Americans culture is to sing "Las Mañanitas" for a person's birthday. The tradition is to sing the song outside the person's window before dawn. Sometimes, it also includes a mariachi band and/or fireworks. It is a beautiful song about celebrating the day of the lucky person's birth. I enjoy the song, and hope to soon learn the words, which is not so easy as our simple "Happy Birthday to you." One afternoon, we had cake and sang the song for our compañera, Ermelinda when my coworkers shared with me what they sing, as the English song of "Happy Birthday" as they hear it in Spanish, which is:
In place of "Happy Birthday to you!" they sing what sounds kinda similiar:
"Sapo verdé eres tu!" Which translated, means "Green toad are you." We laughed over that together. I think I may have to sing "Sapo verde" from now on!

No comments:

Email Subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Followers